"The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patient in the care of the human frame, in diet and in the cause and prevention of disease." - Thomas Edison
What is Naturopathic Medicine?
Naturopathy is a medicine that offers expertise in many modalities practised by licensed doctors to aid in healing of any concern. Naturopathic medicine encompasses thousands of years of medical practice and theories to provide care based on certain principles.
1. This medicine works under the premise that the body has the
fundamental ability to create, maintain and restore health. When
obstacles are removed the body will inherently know how to heal
2. This medicine is the art and science of addressing the mental/emotional, spiritual and physical aspects of the whole patient. It is in persistent search to uncover and address the underlying cause of disease.
3. Different modalities are used to gently and safely direct the body towards its own path of healing.
4. This medicine aims to educate or 'coach' patients in achieving their own healthy and happy lifestyle in order to prevent disease and promote optimal ageing.
Though there are many forms of natural therapies, the main modalities taught
· Botanical Medicine- Nature has provided a wealth of resources in plants. These natural substances are compatible with the body's own chemistry allowing a safe and gentle method to help the body heal.
· Homeopathic Medicine- Based on the principle of "like cures like.", homeopathy introduces diluted medicines to the body that very specifically awaken the body's natural healing and immune process.
· Physical Medicine-Naturopathic Medicine has its own methods of therapeutic manipulation of muscles, bones, and spine. N.D.'s also use ultrasound, diathermy, exercise, massage, water, heat and cold, air, and gentle electrical pulses.
Traditional Chinese Medicine-TCM theory incorporates its own method of evaluating the body's disease state. Using herbs and acupucture it is able to restore and harmonize the imbalances present in disease conditions.
Psychological Medicine-Mental attitudes and emotional states may influence, or even cause, physical illness. Counseling, stress management, biofeedback, and other therapies are used to help patients heal on the psychological level.
Nutritional Medicine-Educating patients on what to eat that will allow the body to function optimally is possibly the most important duty of a naturopath. This modality incorporates many schools of thought on diet and nutrition.