Symptoms of anorexia athletica include:
· Exercising beyond the requirements for good health
· Being fanatical about weight and diet
· Stealing time from work, school, and relationships to exercise
· Focusing on challenge and forgetting
· Defining self-worth in terms of performance
· Rarely or never being satisfied with athletic achievements
· Always pushing on to the next challenge
· Justifying excessive behaviour by defining self as an athlete or insisting that their behaviour is healthy
This disorder is most often recognized in competitive athletes, but it can
affect anyone with a preoccupation with weight and/or diet. If you are someone
you know exhibits these signs you can get help through:
· Your family doctor
· Bellwood Health Services Inc. 1-800-387-6198
· Eating Disorder Foundation of Canada (1453 Richmond) 434-6014
The anorexia bulimia net. [On-line]. (n.d.). Available: http://www.anorexiabulimia.net
[2003, June 1].
Varcarolis, E. (1998). Foundations of psychiatric mental health nursing. (3rded.).
Toronto, ON: W.B. Saunders Company.