Five Components of Physical Fitness
What is physical fitness?
As the saying goes, “Sound Mind in a Sound Body,” good health is inseparable for a successful life. Here comes the importance of physical fitness – a condition in which you look, feel, and perform the best. In other words, physical fitness simply signifies the body’s ability to work effectively and efficiently both during working hours and leisure times. It allows a person to remain healthy as well as to perform his day to day activities with increased energy and strength. Physical fitness not only enables to lead a healthy life but also to safeguard your body against diseases, thereby enabling you to live longer. In deed, physical fitness and healthy living go hand in hand. In short, physical fitness has now become an indispensable segment of personal development.
In order to attain physical fitness, one has to give emphasis to three prime areas such as stamina, strength, and suppleness. Stamina indicates your capacity to perform a particular action such as climbing a couple of stairs with ease or swimming or jogging for a long time and that too without much gasping or huffing. When comes to strength, it denotes your capability to lift certain things like a bucket filled with water or a kid. In the case of suppleness, it implies how flexible your body is, i.e. whether you are able to perform such actions as bending down to take a thing or taking out a thing that is placed high on the shelf without any difficulty.
What that is really essential to achieve physical fitness is regular and well-devised exercise programs, in addition to the intake of a balanced diet inclusive of whole grain foods, lean meat, Omega-3 enriched foods, low-fat dairy items, fruits, and vegetables; and drinking plenty of water, which in turn is essential to keep your body hydrated. Equally important is to maintain your body weight, i.e. it must be proportion to your body height.
Depending upon the nature and purpose, physical fitness exercise programs are broadly categorized into health-oriented and sports-oriented. As the name suggests, health-oriented work-out programs are exclusively designed to enhance the healthy functioning of your organs. On the other hand, sports-oriented programs are intended to boost your performance levels in games and sports.
However, there are certain criteria to be observed when you decide to undertake a physical fitness exercise program. For example, if you are beginner and at the same time over 35 years, it is important that you consult with a doctor prior to beginning a work-out program. It would be better if people with such conditions also seek the assistance of a registered practitioner as high blood pressure, cardiac disorders, dizziness, breathing problems, arthritis, and severe muscular or ligament problems.
Likewise, make sure that the fitness program you have chosen is right for you. Further, try to include different types of exercises in your work-out programs, which not only help to balance your weight but also to help you from getting bored. Above all, it would be a great option if you could find a good partner in order to make your work-out schedule more enjoyable.
Benefits of a Physical Fitness Program
Being physically fit helps you to achieve a continuum of benefits. Among the immediate benefits of physical fitness programs are:
- Enhanced Appearance – Fitness programs not only helps for your body’s detoxification process but also to tone your skin and body. This in turn helps you to achieve gorgeous, glowing skin, apart from enhanced overall appearance.
- Improved immunity system – Proper and balanced fitness programs help to improve your immunity system, thereby safeguarding your body from infections and ailments.
- Strengthened bones – Several studies reveal that both men and women begin to lose bone mass from a very young age of 30 – 35. But, undertaking certain fitness-related exercises such as walking, jogging, and weight lifting help to strengthen your bones. This in turn minimizes the risk of osteoporosis.
- Reduced Back Pain – Exercise programs focused to flatten abs and lower back muscles help to strengthen lower, upper, and oblique muscles, which in turn aid to reduce back pain.
- Self Confidence – If you could achieve a good appearance through effective fitness programs, it would help you to undertake any action with much confidence.
- Better Sleep – Undertaking proper exercise programs enable you to sleep faster and longer. This in turn helps to wake up early, thereby allowing you to remain fresh and active the whole day.
Other obvious benefits of proper physical fitness programs are:
- Minimized risk of developing cardiac related problems
- Normalizing blood pressure
- Burning out bad cholesterol
- Healthy sex life
- Lowering the chances of developing certain kinds of diseases such as colon cancer
- Enhanced metabolism
Five Basic Components of Physical Fitness
Included in the five main basic components of physical fitness are:
- Cardiovascular endurance – Of all the five components of physical fitness, perhaps the most prominent is cardiovascular endurance, as it is key for your overall health and performance. Cardiovascular endurance simply denotes the efficiency and capability of your heart to supply oxygen and nutrients to tissues as well as to eliminate toxic elements from your body. Some of the physical activities that help to achieve cardiovascular endurance are jogging, walking, swimming, and cycling.
- Muscular Strength – This component of physical fitness is determined by the amount of force or strength that your muscles could pick up and exert at a time. Among all the physical fitness components, muscular strength is probably the only component that is directly connected to the amount and nature of activity or work-out you undertake. A well-devised fitness program, especially weight lifting and strength training, could help you to enhance the muscle’s capability to put forth force and retain contraction, thereby aiding to improve your overall health, in addition to strengthening your bones and reducing the chances of developing diseases such as osteoporosis.
- Muscular Endurance – Even though muscular strength and muscular endurance are linked, both of them are different. Muscular endurance is all about your muscle’s ability to undergo repeated contractions without deteriorating. One of the significant ways to achieve muscular endurance is via switching up your exercise program and gaining from a continuum of exercises such as biceps curls, leg extensions, hamstring curls, and chest presses.
- Body Composition – This implies the ratio of your body fat to body lean mass. If your body fat is high, it indicates that you are not fit enough to undertake even your day to day activities. Further, high body fat is associated with conditions such as obesity, coronary heart problems, arthritis, joint pains, and diabetes. On contrary, if your body lean mass is high, it means that your bones, muscles and tissues are healthy.
Flexibility – Last but not least is the physical flexibility, which indicates the ability of your muscles as well as joints to move at its fullest level. Improved flexibility could help you achieve a number of benefits such as healthy joints, strengthened back, and minimized risk muscle tendon injuries. Enhanced body movement flexibility could be accomplished through an appropriate fitness program.
Personal Trainer Guide - $12 CDN