Low-carbohydrate diets are nutritional meal plans that limit carbohydrate consumption typically for weight loss and for the treatment of obesity.
The goal of low carb diets is to take foods high in digestible carbohydrates (e.g. breads, pasta)and replace them with foods including a top percentage of proteins and fats (e.g. meats, soy products) and often some other foods short in carbohydrates (e.g. green leafy vegetables).
When people consume fewer calories than their bodies use, they lose weight (you should be careful with this philosophy though). Also, people on a lower carbohydrate diet also tended to lose more weight (1). People on a low carbohydrate diet program usually take in fewer calories, even if they are eating more protein and fats than normal.
Here is a Low Carb Food List
There are thousands of low carb foods to choose this list from but we have choosen some of the ones that we would like people to focus on.
Lean Meats: buffalo, elk, grass-fed beef, venison, goat, caribou, moose, bear and home made jerky
Poultry: duck, chicken, turkey, partridge, pheasant, ostrich, quail and emu.
Fish: salmon, halibut, pike, arctic char, mackerel, sardines, trout, pickerel, smelts, oolichan and herring.
Seafood: abalone, clams, lobster, mussels, crab, shrimp, scallops
Avoid: deli meats, canned meats, processed meats, bacon, beef ribs, chicken and turkey skin, legs, thighs, and wings, fatty beef and pork roasts, cuts, ground, chops, legs, ribs, sausage and steaks.
Leafy green Vegetables: cabbages, chard, kale, spinach, lettuce, watercress, dandelion greens and beet green.
Flowering Vegetables: broccoli, artichokes, brussel sprouts and cauliflower.
Stem Vegetables: celery, asparagus, leeks and rhubarb.
Fruiting Vegetables: cucumbers, eggplant, peppers, summer squash and tomatoes.
Sea Vegetables: nori, wakame, hijiki, kombu, dulse and kelp.
Sprouts: onion, garlic, alfalfa and red clover.
Algae: chlorella, spirulina etc.
Herbs: basil, oregano, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, cilantro and mint.
Wild Plants: nettle, fiddleheads, edible fungi etc.
Avoid: tubers, cassava root, manioc, potatoes, sweet potatoes, tapioca and yams.
Nuts and Seeds: walnuts, macadamia nuts, pecans, pine nuts, cashews, pistachio nuts, hazel nuts, pumpkin seeds, brazil nuts, sunflower seeds and almonds.
Avoid: amaranth, buckwheat, quinoa
Eggs: chicken, duck and goose
Oils: olive, avocado, walnut, flaxseed, canola etc.
Fruits and Berries: apples, blueberries, cranberries, currants, raspberries, peaches, plums, apricots, cherries, strawberries, oranges, bananas, figs, grapes, melons, rhubarb, pineapple, avocado, lemon and kiwi.
Avoid: fruit juices and dried fruits
- 3 eggs, any style
- 1 or 2 servings mixed vegetables to go with eggs in any way you want, for example mediterranean vegetables
- Large salad with protein, for example Green Salad with Chicken and Strawberries and Strawberry Vinaigrette Dressing.
- 1/2 cup regular cottage cheese (can substitute ricotta for one more gram of carbonydrate)
- 1 medium wedge of cantaloupe
- 2 Tbls flax seed meal
- 5 oz salmon, grilled, broiled, or baked (analysis was with wild salmon)
- 1 serving Garlic Green Beans with Pine Nuts
- 1 cup broccoli (can mix in with green beans)
- Optional dessert not counted in analysis
Meal Plan 2
- 2 (or 3) eggs cooked as you like them
- 6 medium asparagus spears
- 1 cup strawberries, fresh or frozen
2 cups Low Carb Cole Slaw mixed with
- 1 cup cooked chicken
- 1/3 cup chopped apple
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
Snack (morning, afternoon, or evening)
- 1/2 cup plain, strained yogurt with cultures, flavored with sugar-free syrup such as Da Vinci’s
- 1 ½ Tablespoon flax seed meal
- 4 oz lean beef such as London Broil
- 1 cup mushrooms, sautéed in olive oil
- Simply Scrumptious Spinach, or spinach salad made with 3 cups spinach and olive oil dressing or another cup of cole slaw.
Almonds are loaded with good fats, fiber and incomplete protein. Since almonds have such great essential fatty acids they help your body raise it's metabolism just by ingesting them.